The South Korean government is scrambling to contain a new cluster of Covid-19 cases less than a week after it lifted its social distancing guidelines. The government has identified 94 new cases – including 35 new cases Monday, 11 May, the most in a single day since early April – linked to a single infected individual who visited several nightclubs in Itaewon, a popular nightlife district in Seoul on the evening of 1 May.… Read the rest
Tag: South Korea
President Moon Jae-in’s Democratic Party of Korea (DPK) won a resounding victory in National Assembly elections on Wednesday, 15 April, with returns suggesting that the ruling party won 178 seats, the largest-ever majority won in the 300-seat legislature since democratization and the most significant victory ever for Korean progressives.… Read the rest
● South Korea has contained its outbreak and is implementing extensive social distancing policies to prevent the emergence of new clusters.
● Moon Jae-in’s government has also rolled out new restrictions on international travel to prevent the import of new cases from overseas.… Read the rest
● On 15 April, South Koreans will vote in quadrennial elections for the National Assembly, the unicameral legislature.
● President Moon Jae-in’s deft leadership in response to the Covid-19 outbreak has boosted his Democratic Party of Korea (DPK)’s chances of retaining its plurality, but probably not an outright majority.… Read the rest
- South Korea is battling a major surge in new cases, increasing the risk of an electoral setback for President Moon Jae-in in April.
- The region is also bracing for the outbreak’s spread to North Korea, which has not reported any cases but has introduced increasingly stringent controls.